Friday, April 2, 2010

Just Reach Out and Touch Someone

About a month ago I heard an idea about how it takes 40 touches to reach someone. It was not saying after 40 actual touches someone will suddenly decide to follow Him. In fact the number 40 is not even that important of a number, but an idea. The idea is that almost no one is suddenly impacted and changed during a first encounter to completely change who they are. However if a person is continually impacted by something a change may start to occur within the person. The touches do not even have to be from the same person. It may be 3 touches by me, 4 from a friend, and 5 from someone I do not even know. Over time the person becomes influenced.

One thing I always have a problem with is trying to go for the big score every play. When opportunities happen I try to take the ball and run the whole length of the field, or try to go for the homerun swing. This will usually not happen. Instead I find my self upset and frustrated that I missed the ball and maybe even want to give up and quit. Lately I have taken on a more conservative offense. Instead of going for the score every time, I am learning to work the ball down the field. This takes much longer but I find myself not as upset because I can see the ball going down the field.

I have come to realize that I am playing the game on His field, by His rules, and on His time. I can try to do whatever I want, but in the end, it is His game. I am learning to trust more that I am playing on His team and not my own. When playing by His rules I am happy with giving someone just a little touch when I can. I do not get upset because I do not score every time. Not being upset keeps me from wanting to give up all together. My hope is that over time someone will be influenced by my actions and words enough to want to change. I just have to make sure I am making the effort to touch that person.

5 comments:

  1. Greg will be proud to know that his touch produced this realization. I am loving the blogs from the whole crew. Most days I check them all out to see who has written. Know that I think hard of your work. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, Kevin! I hope you are doing well. Rebecca and I are praying for you and all of your good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin, this is a great insight, too. It's good to remember that this is all a team effort. It's not just about us...we do our part - and somehow, it all fits together for good.

    ReplyDelete