Friday, October 8, 2010

Something to pray about.

This past Sunday a few of us took a look and discussed Luke 10: 1-2. I have studied this passage many times in the past. I was going in with the idea of focusing on the harvest and the being "sent" part. In these two verses Jesus tells all the people he is sending out to “PRAY earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.” I have read over this part many times before, but for some reason this time something hit me.
1)I do not pray enough.
2)Jesus just GAVE me something to pray about.
At that moment an idea hit me. I am going to read through the 4 gospels and look for every mention of Jesus giving us something to pray about. I will just read a few chapters a night, so not to get overwhelmed, and write down any mention of Jesus talking about how or what we should pray about. After reading and writing down what I come across, I am then going to pray about those things.
For example, Jesus tells us in Matthew 5:44 to “pray for those who persecute you.” So, when I pray I am going to focus on people or groups that I feel persecuted by. I will write them down and pray for them individually.
In addition, I will take the passages I come across and use it as a kind of measuring stick to see how I am helping the Kingdom.
For example, going back to Luke 10:2 that I mentioned earlier. Jesus mentions how we need more laborers for the harvest, and it is so vital that we need to pray to God for it. I need to ask myself “how am I helping with the harvest?” If it is needed enough for Jesus to mention that we need to pray for it, then it is something that must be important to Jesus. We need more laborers.
With all of that being said, I understand not all passages will be able to be treated this way and that some may focus on how we pray or what to pray about (Lord's prayer in Matthew 6 is a great example of what I am talking about.)
I challenge whoever reads this to do the same. It has given me many things to pray and mediate on, and I find my prayers to be more focused.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome words. Great Challenge. I accept!

    Keep up these great blog posts. I love reading them. Miss you brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Kevin! Thank you for this. I look forward to reading about your work, adventures and discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent thoughts, Kevin! I think this is an idea that will benefit everyone who does it. I think I may do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, accept the challenge Kevin. I will start on it tonight.
    Thank you for your thoughts, your great idea of meditating on His word and an excellent way to develope a richer "thinking"-life.
    I think of all of you daily ! ! !
    Love ya much,
    Layna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kev! I'm glad you blogged about this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allowing relevant texts to shape our conversations always makes them richer. It is easier to be in his will in our requests when they arise from his word.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the thoughts. Just got around to reading your post and I like the simplicity of the idea. I think I'll start doing that, too.

    We will continue to keep you guys in our thoughts,

    Jace

    ReplyDelete